Video game users are known for spending a lot of their days on a PC, but are they using it only as a gaming console, or do they perform other types of work there, too? What software are they using on a daily basis? Also, since we live in a digital age, where everything is connected via the Internet, are they taking advantage of it by keeping their software up to date?
As the biggest all-digital marketplace in the world, with access to gamers all over the globe, G2A has decided to check if gamers are using their PCs for things other than playing video games. Taking into consideration the size of the gaming industry, which in 2022 surpassed $202 billion, and the fact that G2A alone was a destination for over 20 million gamers in terms of video games, the expectation was that there will be a large dominance of “pure” gamers, the results showed otherwise – it turns out that nearly half of gamers (48%) are actively using software other than games.
Another thing which seems interesting is whether gamers are buying it for personal use or for work. Here there was no surprise – an overwhelming majority (over 84%) responded that they are buying software for their own use. And now probably the most interesting question for many: what kind of software they are using – the answers showed that gamers in general are very online-security oriented: the 1st and 3rd most commonly bought software were antivirus (18%) and VPN (13%) respectively, with video creation apps (17%) between them.
The other angle of the survey focused on seeing whether gamers want to keep their software up to date and why/why not. Answering the first of these questions showed that a majority (59%) of the respondents is making sure their soft is updated, though it seemed the remaining 41% were only interested in updating their most often-used apps, with over 8% not paying any mind to this at all. When it comes to the reasons, people who did update their software to the newest versions did so mainly due to the new features (48%) and bug fixes (23%), but also for security updates (20%). When it comes to the ones unwilling to get new versions of their apps, they were mainly deterred from doing so by high prices of new versions (30%) and features they found redundant or straight up detrimental to them working on this software (22%).
You can find all the data mentioned above and more in the infographic below.